Hamilton has been identified as the “waterfall capital in the world,” as it is home to over 150 waterfalls within the borders of the city. This is owing to the Niagara Escarpment, which encompasses the city of Hamilton. The Escarpment is one of the world’s natural wonders, as recognized by UNESCO’s World Biosphere Reserve.
For years after its remediation, Tiffany Falls has been consistently noted as one of the greatest masterpieces of Hamilton’s waterfall collection. As described by the Escarpment Project, a non-profit organization providing and preservation of the Niagara Escarpment, Tiffany Falls stuns hikers with its “sheer elegance” and grandeur, spanning a total height of 68 feet above the ground.
Tiffany Falls is named after Dr. Oliver Tiffany, the first physician known to have practiced in Ancaster at around 1796. In recognition of his commitments to rural practice for more than 40 years, the name Tiffany Falls commemorates his lasting contributions to the community.
Sherman Falls, also known as “Angel” or “Fairy” Falls, has been recognized as another one of Hamilton’s natural splendours. The name is derived from two American brothers from the Sherman Family (Clifton W. Sherman and Frank Sherman) who founded Dominion Foundries and Steel Co., one of the largest steel-producing companies in 1912, now known as ArcelorMittal Dofasco.
The waterfall is characterized by its two tiers, standing 56 feet high and spanning 26 feet in width. Sherman Falls is also situated on the Niagara Escarpment between Tiffany and Canterbury Falls while also being linked to the Bruce Trails, one of the oldest and the longest footpaths in Canada.
Located in the Spencer Gorge/Webster’s Falls Conservation Area in Greensville, Webster’s Falls has been noted as one of the biggest as well as one of the most frequently visited waterfalls in the city of Hamilton (its height being 72 feet).
Webster’s Falls, originally known as Dr.Hamilton’s Falls, is known to have been the source of one of the first hydroelectric generators in Ontario during the mid-1800s. Upon the will of the former Dundas mayor, Colonel W.E.S. Knowles, the area around Webster Falls was developed into a park that is now known as the Green Optimist Park.