Sophie Okolo is a public health researcher and science writer. She writes about the latest health tech, dementia, ageism. She helps run The STEM Squad, an inclusive online community for women and non-binary folks in STEM.
In this episode, we give you a detailed guide on how to start your gig as a science writer! If you're even a little bit interested in science writing, this is the episode for you.
1. Find a niche.
2. Write, write, write!
3. Find a mentor.
Resources for new science writers:
• Science Twitter!
• Check out Bossed Up! Some articles include what to look for in a mentor and how to find one!
• Pitch to Lady Science, Sister, Lateral Magazine, and Got Science Magazine.
• Join the Massive Science Consortium
• The Open Notebook offers a pitch database and tons of guides for beginner science writers.
• Episode 6 of the pod, where I talked to science journalist Bianca Nogrady
Any feedback on the show? Let us know on Twitter at @ScienceSucksPod.